So, this is what my life has been for the last 6 days since days since I went to the ER and figured what I got myself into:
– Six meals a day, or 7 sometimes, every hour and a half. But NO food after 6:30 pm, or it’ll hurt when I go to sleep.
– My meals are: a banana, an apple, oatmeal, one chicken breast, rice porridge, pasta with vegetable broth, honey, pears, bread, saltines, some steamed vegetables. That is IT. That is all I am eating. One single item is a meal.
– No big meals, all has to fit in a tiny bowl.
– Nothing to drink that is not water. No big gulps, tiny sips all throughout the day. I will venture into fat free milk and ginger tea this weekend.
– GERD Medication two times a day, Plus TUMS, plus Mylanta shots.
– I chew a lot of gum, saliva helps dilute the acids in my stomach
I schedule my food intake in the morning, and I don’t change anything.
It still hurts.
I feel weak, and I lost 3 pounds in 4 days. But I feel better than last week.
I quite probably have an ulcer. And a problem for life. Apparently, GERD doesn’t get cured, you learn to manage it. We will see soon what that means.
I realize I brought this to myself. People who get GERD usually are drinkers, or smokers, or have higher BMI, or eat spicy foods. I don’t do any of those, but I was the one always finishing everybody’s food, the biggest the meal the better, and loved night binging! Still, I REGRET NOTHING. I really had fun while it lasted, even if it now has to come to a screeching halt. Also, it could be the aspirin I’ve taken for 10 years. Or stress (??). A hernia is a huge probability too. We will know soon hopefully. I am visiting a gastroenterologist and my cardiologist next week!
I wonder what this will do for my marathon training. I just lost a week, and I am on week 6. I might have to skip Mohawk-Hudson but hopefully I can still do NYCM. Juan takes me on walks every day, and they’re very slow, the first days I couldn’t manage more than a block or two. Last night I didn’t really want to go out, I was so tired, work had wiped me out, but I managed to walked a mile… We shall see. I need to focus on stopping all this acid pumping into my stomach first.