Link Love for the Week:
- 5 Common Myths About Strength Training for Distance Runners
- The Champion’s Workout: once in a while, do a workout that just kills you, it will help come tough times
- Great workouts to teach your body to clear lactate
- The Third Energy System, your free 7 seconds!
- My 2012 Best Practices Official List Basically, all I know
- Five pillars of Training Wisdom from legendary coaches. This reading should be mandatory.
- More Evidence in Favor of Plyometrics. Get it now?
- Running Drills for Better Form, Speed, Explosiveness, and Efficiency. DO IT.
- If you need a stability routine, the Oregon Project has a great one with all the basics
- Essential Drills for Speed and Efficiency
- How Long Should You Wait Before Running Another Marathon via Runner’s Connect, which has GREAT articles.
- Learn to Pace like a Pro, there’s a marathon section and talks about why you need to negative split
- Are you a race Warrior or Worrier? Great write-up by Olympian Molly Huddle
- To practice pacing or to suicide-pace and drop, that’s the question
- Making Sense of Serial Racing, how and why racing every weekend can make you a better runner
- The Magic of Mantras, in case you need that extra push
- You probably should be doing ice baths. If you don’t know how to start, here
- Give it a Rest Recovery is a very important goal post-race
- Exercise as Good as Medicine at Preventing Some Diseases. YES YES. YES.
- What to pack for an out of town marathon. Or the list that will keep your sanity
- If you know someone whose keys are driving you crazy during runs, send them here. you’re welcome
- Running Biomechanics: There is ONLY three human forms of locomotion
- Running Biomechanics: What is Proprioception and why is it important?
- Running Biomechanics: Watch Yourself!!
- Running Biomechanics: It is NOT the shoe, it’s the FORM
- Running Biomechanics: NO to leaning
- Running Biomechanics: What are your arms doing?
- Running Biomechanics: Fix Your Cadence
- Running Biomechanics: Be the Best Runner You Can Be
- Running Biomechanics: Balance = Speed
- Running Biomechanics: Do you sit all day?
- Running Biomechanics: Lightweight / Minimalist / Barefoot shoes are NOT the same thing
- Running Biomechanics: (don’t) give me a brake!
- 8 Stages of Marathon Running, From excitement to despair to elation in 26.2 miles. Hilarious.
- 20 Reasons Why Going To The Gym Is A Huge Waste Of Time. And Dangerous. Just Run
- Proper Race T-shirt etiquette. Or: why I wore an Ironman t-shirt last night!
- 40 best worst runner costumes. hilarious
- Video of Dr. Dan Lieberman in the Colbert Report show: Funny
- 28 Reasons Why Training For A Marathon Is The Worst Thing Ever, via Buzfeed. Hilarious!!
- 20 Great Marathon Spectator Signs we all need a laugh, who are you kidding?
- Trailer for “There Is No Finish Line” a Joan Benoit Samuelson documentary I am dying to see
- En espaniol, cuadritos divinos sobre correr, todos los dias. Re vale la pena.
- Esos locos que corren, amazing video/poem, in Spanish. Seriously amazing
- Mark Remy’s Motivational Posters. About running. Kinda. Definitely Hilarious
- The Tour De France Explained in Animation
- 26 Reasons you should be a runner via Buzzfeed. #17 and #25…!
- Sitting is worse than smoking. Slim Shady: please stand up
- The 42 Best Signs From The Boston Marathon
- Great video talk about training intensity and glycogen manipulation for optimal adaptation, the video is 20 minutes long but worth it (and somehow it matches a lot of what I did last year in training)
- My “Grainy” Research, and old post of mine from 2010 and a call to revamp your carbs. Bulgur will change your life, I promise.
- After Boston, Run the Recovery, by Mike Cassidy
- Be Your Own Hero, an 800 race that shows you how to set yourself on fire. Inspiring!
- Matt Long’s story, A Second Life. If this doesn’t move you, there is no hope for you.
- Matt Long’s Story, in video form. Amazing.
- Running Wisdom: Lessons From A Running Life, don’t forget to do it ALL, and have fun with it
- The terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances, via the Oatmeal, one of the most amazing running writeups I ever laughed at. So funny and true, mostly for the runners who like to have fun (and not diet).
- Loved this Op Ed, about adversity in running: May the Wind be in your Face
- This woman is my new role model: Heather Dorniden’s Inspiring 600 Meter Race
- Age Grading Calculator. Because we can’t PR forever
- McMillan Calculator: enter a recent time to predict finish time for other distances and training pace
- Pace Calculator
New York City
- You’re a NYC runner if… feel free to add!
- Oldie but goodie: 50 Reasons to Be Pretty Damn Euphoric You Live in New York City
- Central Park Running Map
- Prospect Park Running Map. I guess…
New York City Marathon
- Best pace bracelet for New York City Marathon (and others), adjusted for the course and…
- Bill Cunningham | On the Run: NYC Marathon version. Love Fashion and Bill? don’t miss this one.
- Inspiring post by Mike Cassidy about his NYC Marathon experience.
- Best NYC Marathon Tracking Sheet. Want to know exactly where and when your runner will be? Use this amazing spreadsheet by JackRabbit Sports.
- Last Minute NYC Marathon Tips & Running Advice by Toby, who is awesome!
- New York City Marathon Course Video
- New York City Marathon, a runner’s video, so inspiring, I dare you to not cry!