I figured I’d put on weight, but that is really all I thought about. What would happen…?
This is my mileage for the last two months: </
- Week of April 28th: 10 miles
- Week of May 5th: 10.2 (Scotland 10K and 4 miles)
- Week of May 12th: 13.1 (Brooklyn Half)
- Week of May 19th: zero miles
- Week of May 26th: zero miles
- May – 23.3 miles total
- Week of June 2nd: zero miles
- Week of June 9th: 6.2 miles (Mini 10K)
- Week of June 16th: 3 miles
- June – 9.2 miles so far
That’s 42.5 miles in 8 weeks, average of 5 miles a week, though I had a whole 3 straight weeks of zero.
In three days you feel the difference, physically and mentally:
- There is no more tone in your legs and your skin feels different. It’s disgusting (how do non-runners live like that??)
- Everything makes you tired
- You’re confused about food, it’s NOT fuel anymore
- More confused: do I care about everyone on my facebook feed talking running?? I don’t. I really do not.
- Even more confused: What do I do with all this free time not thinking about running? Am I a traitor? WHO am I??? Where am I going???
After a few weeks of completely giving up, which is what I did, you bounce back to a new normal:
- I stayed the same weight. how? well, it turns out that once the runger was gone, I had not many reasons to overeat.
- Also, I used to eat something before and after every run, once those snacks were gone, you get rid of some calories!
- Your body becomes a bit more stable, you’re not tired (from runs) and hyper energized (from runs): you’re in a constant lull of the same flubby thing (blah!)
- You find other things to do. There’s soooo many other things to do. Like watch a ton of soccer for example!
- You’re happy you don’t have to wash your hair so often
- You really don’t care about anything running related. And wonder why you ever run: It’s soooo strenuous!
- I have zero muscle left, everything makes me tired. Somehow I still have the same weight.
- After not having a period for, like, 10 years, I got it every other week for those two months!!!
- You realize you need some other sort of exercise. I don’t like anything else but started walking a lot more (also, I had visitors so I had to walk them everywhere!)
I am sort of in a balanced state where I don’t hate it anymore, and miss it a bit and wish I could get back in a routine but it feels hard but I want to. I miss being outdoors. Stay tuned. Seems like things are starting to turn back… 😉 I run yesterday AND today…!!!!!!